Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Windy Morning

Launched at 8am to an incoming tide, winds brisk from the NE at 10+ with bigger gusts, sunny and pleasant.
Since my window was small this morning, I'd quickly paddle to target puppy drum at the grasses. Aided by a strong current, I got to the spot quickly.

After working the shoreline for 15 minutes, I get my first strike right at the boat. Nice puppy drum. Worked to get the rod from under the yak and on the other side. It came to the surface and was about to grab it when it went for another run. Went to the bottom and broke the knot. UGH! From the quick glimpse, I'm thinking it was in the slot (but we always are optimistic like that when we lose a fish).

About ten minutes later, I'm letting the current drift me while still working the shoreline. I get another hit close to the boat and this one stays on. Nice 17" speckled trout. A quick pic and back he goes. (He was croaking and recently read that males croak to attract females). I tossed to the same spot a few more times but he must have been a loner.

 Worked hard on trying to keep from getting pushed into the shoreline from the gusting winds. The current was great on the drifting but after every 2 casts, I would have to paddle out back to the channel just so I'm not on the shoreline again.

At this point, the winds started to pickup (15+) and knew I had to work against the current and with a strong wind from the side, it would be a hard paddle back.

Got back to the launch site as the 9am bridge lift horn sounded. Off to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment