Monday, October 22, 2012

A Shot Across the Bow

Launched at 415 to a warm sunny afternoon with an outgoing tide. Slight variable breeze.  Noticed some guys across the river fishing off their dock.
Got out to the channel and was about to start casting when I hear a pop and water splash. One of the kids had a pellet gun and shot the channel marker that was 10 feet away from me. I started yelling, "What the f was that?" and started to paddle over. The teen with the pellet rifle was saying he was shooting at the channel marker which was right next to me. I burst into an R-rated tirade that had the teens shaking and the kid with the pellet gun trying to make up another excuse while I continued my expletive yelling. They kept apologizing and I paddled on the other side of the channel to start fishing.  As I'm ready to make my first cast, I see the teens leave the dock.

On to fishing. Now that my adrenaline was going, I figured fishing would relax me now. Warm, sunny day with little boat traffic. I work the channel and on my first cast, fish on! A nice fighting 18" spec. That's a good start.


Worked the channel more but no other hits. Trolled down against the current and no hits. Casted towards the grassy shoreline and after a few casts, another hook up. I thought initially it was a puppy based on the hit and fight and that I caught it where I usually land puppy drum but I see the tail of the spec.


Got him on the boat and a quick measure and photo before the release. A nice 19.5" healthy spec.



Worked the shoreline more but no other hits besides short hits. I was down to my last few Gulps and didn't want to waste them on short strikes from the perch.

I moved closer to the channel edge and started to troll.  A minute or so later and the nice rod bend. The fish was taking drag but realized it was really lose. After tightening it, I reel it in. A little schoolie striper about 12". This river is filled with this class of fish.





Trolled back to the ramp working the southern side first then moved into the channel.  Worked the channel marker one last time and got a hook up. It came unbuttoned at the yak but was a small 10-12" spec.

Headed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment