Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Topwater School(ie) Session


Asked my wife if she minded if I went fishing this morning (being it's our 13th anniversary) and she gave me the green light and a kiss on the cheek. I'm lucky to have such a wonderful wife who supports my various sports and hobbies. Some hobbies aren't the cheapest but I think she's somewhat thankful that I'm not a full blown adrenaline junkie.

Put in on the E at 745 to calm winds and an incoming tide. Tossed in the newly spooled setup bouncing the 1/4 jib/bass assassin off the bottom. After 2 passes on my favorite spot, I hook up with a little schoolie. As I'm unhooking him, I notice some fishing breaking the surface about 50 yards away. These weren't the jumping mullet. Something was attacking them. Threw the jig and immediately hooked up with another schoolie but came unbuttoned at the yak. At this point, they were hitting the top pretty good and I tied on a Rapala Pop-R.  Fish On! right close to the boat. Another 12" striper. A few boats passed by and the school disappeared but still casted and had a few more bumps but nothing stuck. Didn't want to waste my window of snapping pics of the schoolies but managed one pic for the blog.

Went back to trolling and picked up more picked up another schoolie about the same size. Made another pass and the specs decided to play this morning too. Boated four specs ranging from 14"-18" on consecutive drifts. Had switched to a 3/8 jig since that is what I had tied on to the Penn setup.


By the way, I picked up a Penn Fierce 3000 and a Penn Legion M Inshore rod (using GC from mom and sis back in March for my birthday - thanks!) and this combo is a great setup for these inshore sized fish. Enough backbone to set the hook but still sensitive for feel the small bumps. Can't wait to get it on a little bigger class of schoolies.

Heard the whistle blow from sailboat that passed 10 minutes ago which means it's top of the hour (900) and off to work I go. Dropped the jig one more time and picked up a final spec on the way to the ramp.

Another good morning on the water.





No comments:

Post a Comment