Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Neon Blue Puppy Drum Tails

Launched at 745 am to overcast skies with temps in the low 60s. High tide going out. No wind.
Tried the breathable waders today and worked like a charm. Didn't get hot and were dry and comfy. I don't have wading shoes and the flat boots are too small to fit over the 5mm boot socks so I laced my Tevas on over the socks and worked fine.

Trolled a jig towards the destination for the day - I'll call it "4400 Club" in tribute to my old ODU days.  Nothing on the trolled jig and quickly switched to the lighter 1/4 setup on the smaller rod. Worked the grassy shoreline tossing jigs towards the grass and working the bottom. Caught a 16" puppy on the first few casts and had a few other hits. 

After reading about how effective popping corks were working, I decided to break out the popping cork for a bit. Had one hit but didn't hook.  After about 10 minutes of popping and no other hits, I switched back to the 1/4 jib Gulp setup.  I tried a new Gulp color, pumpkin seed. The tail didn't have the same action as the white and didn't get any hits after 5 minutes. Switched back to white.

Picked up about 10 puppy drum from 14"-17" all on the lite rod setup within a 30 minute stretch. Puppy drum fight so much harder than specs. One thing I noticed about today's puppies were the blue in the tail. Most all of the drum had a neon blue tail. I thought it was unusual but after Googling it, I see it is common.

I had to head to work so I tossed a jig in and trolled back to the ramp. I hooked up with a 16" speckled trout in front of a few sail boats heading to the lochs.


Called it a morning and went to work.


No comments:

Post a Comment