Got a later start and launched around 845am at the top of high tide. Air temp was in the mid 50s but warmed up quickly. I overdressed. Winds were calm but started 5-10 from the SW after an hour. LOTS of boat traffic with the yachts heading south. I don't understand why some a-holes open it up in their yachts from the steel bridge to the lochs. You're just going to sit there for another 45 minutes. At least it tested my wake skills today. Handled a few 2+' chops with no problem.
Based on the post title, it was a slow morning of fishing. Fished the grassy shoreline from the creek mouth to "42nd St" then moved over to "Little Island" to avoid the 9am boat traffic. I did get a first cast strike around 42nd St but could hook it. No luck at Little Island and moved back over to the south shoreline. Saw a few yaks out having the same luck as me. After about 1.5 hours with no luck, I finally hook one. Felt like and looked like a small spec but came unhitched at the yak.
Moved a bit east and worked a spot called "shipwrecks". Finally got another hit and it felt good. Rod bending around and under the boat. Good fighting 16" puppy drum. Quick pic and threw to the same spot and got another hookup. A bit small puppy but still felt like a good fighter.
Worked the shoreline heading back west and picked up two more puppy drum about 12"-14".
Waited out the parade of boats from the 10am lift by the channel edge then paddled back.
I think this was the first outing that did not produce a spec. Not sure if they are moving towards the ditch or in deeper water. I hope the puppy drum hang out for awhile, they are a better fighter and don't slime up the yak like the specs do.

No comments:
Post a Comment