Saturday, October 6, 2012

Seeing Spots

Made it out about 8am to a low tide. Calm winds and sunny, warm. Winds were forecasted for SW at 15 today and the tide will push in within the next few hours.

Dropped the line in and immediately go rewarded with a 16" spec. Made a few more drifts and had a knockdown but nothing stuck.
With a longer window of fishing today, I decided I would fish towards the Lochs today and scout out some new territory but would know that the paddle back would be hard due to the winds and incoming tide current.

Picked up another 16" spec around a mouth of a creek and headed toward "Little Island".

Tossed the Gulp! around some grassy shoreline and felt the 'tap-tap-tap' and set the hook. I could tell this fish had some shoulders and was glad to see I finally got on some puppy drum here on the river. A good fighting 16" puppy.

Worked the grassy area and picked up a 17" spec on a point. Paddled to the south shoreline and worked some area.

Working a point I felt some shorts just nibbling at the tail so I set the hook anyway. Ended up hooking what I though would be a spot or croaker but ended up being the largest perch I've ever caught.  It was 14".

Ventured further towards the Lochs and into a creek and picked another puppy on a point. Saw a few boats working the creek with success tossing live minnows.

No success in the creek but after looking at the map when I got home, I took the wrong creek. I was intending to head back to a deep lake that I heard produced well.

Fished towards "Little Island" again and picked up another puppy in the same class size. At this point the winds had picked up and current was starting. There was a ton of boat traffic out today. The 1100 bridge lift looked like "Parade of Sails" from large sailboats to 50' yachts.

Eventually made it back to launch area and decided to drift for some specs after my shoulders stopped burning from the paddle.

Picked up a nice fat 19" followed by a thin 16" spec.  The 19" was going home with me.

Overall another good morning on the water. I didn't keep track but probably landed a dozen specs and puppies. The winds were strong and made fishing points hard to keep position. A stake out pole would have been useful today.

Forecast is not looking favorable for yak fishing but does look good to try to land a big red from the beach. Plus, after today's paddling, my shoulders could use a day off.
















No comments:

Post a Comment