Several boats were high tailing it to the Hot Ditch and only an precursor of what the weekends will be like from now through the winter.
Paddled to "Area 41" and worked the cork popper and jig. With no water moving and no signs of anything working the top, I wasn't too optimistic.
After a few casts and no action I tossed in the 3/8 jig and started to troll. Almost immediately I hook up in front of "Ace's House". Good start with a skinny 16" spec.
I thought the slack tide would work but I was wrong. No action for almost an hour. Did a few more drifts and no hits. Inside the channel and outside with nothing. Eventually moved to the creek mouths and tossed some top water and the popping cork with the same results. I did see fish working the top but they were not interested in the Yozuri topwater I was working. Made a few more drifts and nothing again.
I did finally notice the tide was moving and would hope this would change my results.
I made my first drift up river with no hits but turned around to go with the current and finally picked up another spec. A nice fat 19".
For a moment I was considering this would be lunch today but had to fish cooler or stringer. It was meaty but she went back.
Made a few more drifts and hooked up with another at 18" that was skinny and a few drifts later picked up a 16". All hit with trolling with the current.
Another observation from yesterday and today was the abundance of birds that started to work the waters as the current started to pick up as well as the fishing. These are the little brown "wrens" and not gulls. I'll have to keep watching if this is a consistent pattern.
Paddled back to the ramp and called it a morning.


No comments:
Post a Comment