Saturday, April 13, 2013

Shrimp Fest

Now that Spring has arrived (temps that is), I took advantage of the warmer weather and decided to go fishing vs. the Saturday morning ride (woke up too late to catch the rides anyway).
Launched at 930 to an incoming tide. Temp was in the 60s and a gusty wind from the east.

Tied on the usual Gulp swimming mullet and tried a Gulp shrimp in New Penny color. Headed up river to fish the creeks and grass beds. Trolled the mullet across the channel and started to cast the shrimp. 2nd cast with the shrimp and landed a 19" spec right close to the yak.
He was by the rock pile. Need to remember that location as it has good structure during high tide.

Paddled into the first creek and saw some baitfish activity. Worked the mouth for a few casts and paddled deeper into the creek. At high tide, this place looks promising with the grassy bottom and shoreline.

A few casts into the creek and got a nice hit, again close to the yak. From the fight and the drag it was taking, I could tell it was a nice size pup but when I boated it, it only came to 16".

It had nice spots on the tail and was more bronzed colored than I remembered from the fish from last fall. This one was caught on a swimming mullet.

Worked deeper into the creek and saw some mullet jumping and baitfish. It was nice, calm and quite back in the creek but no more action on the fish.

After a much neeed "break" in the shallows, I headed out to the river again to work my way to the next creek. I came up to "shipwrecks" and managed to lose 2 rigs on snags. I worked the shore and got a nice hit on the shrimp. Landed another spec but a little smaller at 16".

A few more casts within the same area and hooked up with another puppy on the shrimp.

This was another undersized at 16" but put up a good fight.

Worked my way into another creek by the concrete slab.  Working the shrimp again, I got another solid hit and pulled up another undersized pup.

Hearing the boat horns at 1100, I knew I should start heading back. I worked the creek a little longer then paddle back across the channel to Little Island.

Worked the grassy points and creek mouths without any success.

Pointed the yak back down the river for the paddle home. I noticed the winds had died but as soon as I started paddling, the winds picked up from the West - direct headwind. The current was no longer running as it was at full high tide now, otherwise it would have been a hard paddle back. I slow trolled the gulp on the way back and hit some creek mouths with no luck. Got back to the launch and headed home.
I realized I don't have a pic of the yak yet. That's pine pollen floating in the water.


No comments:

Post a Comment