Got to the launch Saturday afternoon around 430pm at almost high tide. Slightly overcast skies and winds were calm after a day of blowing 10-15 from the N. A cold front had moved into the area overnight and I wasn't too optimistic of fishing today.
As I was rigging, there was a young couple making their way to the pier with a woman holding a Bible. The young lady was dressed in all white. I thought, how nice, pictures after the wedding down at the pier. Then I noticed that it was the actual ceremony. They had another person attending videoing the ceremony. Another neighbor walking her dog and I stopped and watched the quick nuptials.
Another yakker was just launching too and I hit the southern shore and he worked the north. I worked the creek but no luck. Back in the river I saw tons of bait in the water. It wasn't boiling or shad jumping but large ripples and movement of water. I threw everything into the schools but nothing hit. Even with my polarized glasses I could never see what they were.
Met up with the other yakker and he had the same luck as me. We fished over by the wrecks and I manage a hookup at a grassy point. Nice puppy as I saw his side come up to the yak.
He took a dive and spit the hook. Continued to work the grass and a few casts later I got another bump and hooked up. This time it made it on the yak and prevented a skunk. A nice little 16" puppy. It hit the shrimp and was the first fish on the new Penn Battle 2000.
Moved over to the southern shore and fished little island and the creek but nothing. On my way back I worked the shoreline and docks. I saw some movement around a creek mouth and tossed in the swimming mullet. I hit then a hookset. I thought it was a puppy but as it got on the surface I saw the spiny dorsal fin of the white perch. I was about 12". I unhooked it on the side of the yak since I once again forgot my rag to handle that spiny dorsal.
Paddled back to the launch and called it a night. Back in by 730.
No comments:
Post a Comment