Saturday, April 27, 2013

Losing Track of Time

Launched at 930 to an incoming tide. Sunny, slight breeze out of the ENE.

Trolled down to the first creek while also casting  to the rocky ledges with no success. I didn't work inside the creek as I wanted to head farther up river before the tide changed.  Just outside the creek mouth I noticed some bait and something hit the top. I tossed towards the direction and I get my first bump and hook up with a small 13" puppy drum. He hit swimming mullet on a 3/8 red jig. By the looks of his jaw, this wasn't the first hook he tasted.

Worked the shoreline and was not have any success. Saw more bait swirling the surface just like last time and continued to toss into fray but with no success.  Continued down the river and came upon a point. First 2 casts landed another 13" puppy that pulled much bigger than it was and a 16" puppy back to back.

Paddled towards the next point and creek mouth and tossed but no luck. Worked the shipwrecks area and the grassy island with the same results.

My intention for the day was to paddle closer to the lochs and maybe hit the pond but decided that option for another day.

Worked more of the grassy areas on both sides of the river and eventually ended up back at Little Island.  At this point, the tide started to move out and the ENE winds picked up. I drifted and cast the shoreline all the way back with barely needing to paddle.

With the lack of boat traffic this year and forgetting my watch, I lost track of time. Typically I can rely on hearing the boat horns blaring at the top of each hour for the steel bridge but not today.  I was guessing it was around 1130 or so when I got back home. It was after 100. I went about the last 2.5 hours without a fish.

I did get up close and personal with some large vessels and a bald eagle. The barge came around the corner and was about 25 yards from me and I quickly paddled further away from the channel.
I saw the eagle soaring earlier but lost track of him until he swooped down and picked up lunch. I was too slow to get the camera out to grab a shot.


No comments:

Post a Comment