Never having fished these waters in a kayak, I didn't know where to go so I just started to fish the branches off to the southwest after leaving Crab Creek. Everything looked fishy, from the grass beds to the points, I was thinking this would be a good day of fishing. Fished for about 45 minutes with no significant bites using the 1/4 jig and white bass assassin. Came across 3 guys working the grasses and they were hooking up with speckled trout and small red drum. Looks like they were working their jigs slower so I slowed my retrieve down. I also switched to the paddle tail in green/blue that matched the abundance of bait in the water but still no hits. Finally after 2 hours I get one on and it was a nice little puppy drum. He came unbuttoned at the yak but was probably 16" at most.
After working more grassy lined areas and with the tide going out, I decided to paddle back to the ramp. It was 1230 when I got back to the ramp but wasn't satisfied with not having boated a fish yet. I took about a 20 minute break and launched back out. At this point the tide was really out and the water was really skinny in some areas. I managed to find several oyster bars that I'm sure left a mark on the hull. With the tide out and the current running hard, it was hard to find deeper water without being in the channel. I worked the creeks farther south than I had this morning and eventually ended up on a channel to find some fishable water deeper than 2'. I drifted working the edge of the channel on the opposite side of the "tennis court" when I finally get a good hit and it stuck. I was certain it was a puppy since they were abundant but I was surprised when it was a spec. It measured just shy of 17".
It was about 230 and all the little spot and croaker chewed up all my tails off the Gulp lures. So I headed back to the ramp with an easy paddle with the help of the current.


No comments:
Post a Comment