Friday, September 21, 2012

Friday Happy Hour

Launched at the neighborhood ramp at 430p to a swift outgoing tide. It was sunny and warm with calm winds (to start). There was plenty of boat traffic so I stayed on the shallows drifting the 1/4oz jig and Gulp! A few up and down drifts by "Ace's House" produced not a single hit. At 500, I finally got a hit and boated a 16" spec.
The boat traffic died so I took out the 3/8 jig and worked the deeper holes on the channel. Still nothing. A few hits that took the tails of the lure but nothing big. At this point the winds turned up a notch from the NE and made the paddle west an easy one with the wind and current but the paddle back was brutal.
At 530, Happy Hour started for the specs. I had switched back to the 1/4 oz jig and made a drift and immediately got bowed. She was a healthy fat 18" with some great shoulders to put up a fight on my med-light 7' rod/reel setup. Threw it back in and made about 10 paddle strokes until I got hit again. Another 17" fighter landed. I continued to make 2 more drifts and boated 2 specs per drift. They were between 16"-17". These last few fish, I had switched from the Gulp! to the Bass Assassin with the same results. But it was Happy Hour for the specs so anything swimming was free game to them.
Got to the boat ramp at 600 and left them biting.

No comments:

Post a Comment