Launched at Chesapeake Yachts at 930 after registering/paying the fee. It was an incoming tide but the current wasn't moving too fast.
Got out to the river and it was a traffic jam. Lines all over the place. Thank goodness you have to slow troll for the specs this time of year, that will be the only way the cluster of lines were all tangled.
The plan was to work the shallower shoreline since it has been warmer before I work the deeper water. Fished the gulp and tossed out a live shiner on a slip bobber at 8-10'. I was drifting and casting the shoreline when a boat stops 20' from me and anchors up to cast to the shoreline too. By the time I get my lines in, I'm about on his boat. Not even a nod, dickhead. These guys were the ones who I kept an eye on all day as they seemed to be the most productive using sinking twitchbaits and always on the go - not more than 15 minutes in one spot.
I hook up with my first of the day right after I drifted past these guys. It hit right at the boat and gave a good fight. Haven't had spec slime on the yak in a few weeks. She measured out to be 18"Continued to work that area but no more hits. Meanwhile, the guys on the boat boated another 2 or 3 at that same spot.
Worked my way to the other side of the river where there was a little more freedom. Started to slow troll the gulp on a 3/8 jib. Saw a splash and got out my mirrolure and started to cast. As soon as I cast, my trolling rod bends. Fish On! I make sure she's hooked good and then reel in the mirrolure rod so I don't have a tangled mess on my hands. Get back to reeling in the fish and she's feels good. Bigger than the previous and from the one earlier this fall. She checks out at 19" and FAT.Turned around and worked that same spot and got another knockdown. This one was much smaller at 16". Worked that same location a few more times but the crowds were to much for that small area so I drifted towards another location. I did get a nice hit on a shiner and went to set the hook and she spit it leaving me with an empty hook.
Trolled back towards the launch and packed it in. Home by 200.

No comments:
Post a Comment