Sunday, November 11, 2012

Yak vs. Wading: Guess Who Won

Took advantage of this wonderful weather and light winds to venture out to the CBBT/Chix Beach.
Got down to Chix just west of the CBBT and launched around 130pm to an incoming tide. Light winds from the SW but were switching to E and little swell/chop. Had the family in tow and they hung out at the beach.

This was the first open water venture and wanted to get a feel of what it would be like at night. The current was starting to pick up and worked the west side of the bridge trolling a mirrorlure and mixing it up with a gulp. No hits but didn't head too far out - maybe 1/2 way down the first span. Trolled back and worked my way over to the rock jetties. There were a few guys fishing the jetties so I went back to the bridge. Worked the east side and still no hits. Didn't see any boats having any luck either.  Trolled back to the beach and was ready to pack it in or just hang out with the family on this wonderful Sunday afternoon. I was OK with a skunk as this was more of recon mission versus a fish slaying mission but a bite or two would have been good.

The family took a walk and with my wader still on, I decided to cast the mirrorlure out of boredom. A few casts in, Fish On!  I was thinking a speckled trout based on the fight but it ended up being a small puppy drum (12")

I switch up lures to a gulp and jig. A few more casts in and hook up with another puppy drum.  This was a little bigger at 16" and was definitely a better fight. I look down towards the bridge and the guys dunking bait were also hooking up with puppies. The wind has switched to onshore and the tide was coming in.

The family came back from their walk and was able to hook up a few fish to let my daughter reel in. She reeled in the biggest of the day at 17".  More hook ups continued and landed about a dozen more puppies in about 45 minutes ranging from 14-16". The sun was starting to cast shadows on the beach and knew my family would start to get cold so I packed it in and left them biting.

Dragged the yak to the beach and had a great time paddling somewhere different than the ER and hooking up with a little puppy drum blitz was a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment